Recession Art is seeking Fall Interns for September-December.
Recession Art Interns have the unique opportunity to learn about starting up a small business and running an art space from the very beginning. This is a hands-on internship, with interns becoming an essential part of our team. We are looking for proactive, hard working candidates with a desire to take initiative on assignments and special projects.
Interns will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Participating in curatorial meetings about store inventory and artwork selection.
- Assisting Resident Curators with artist communication.
- Keeping track of store inventory.
- Opportunity to propose and produce intern-curated special events.
- Gallery sitting and staffing the store register.
- Assisting the Programming Director with staffing special events and recruiting volunteers.
- Answering general email inquiries.
- Assisting the Executive Director with bookkeeping and budgeting.
- Researching special projects for the Executive Director.
- Attending monthly staff meetings.
Public Relations / Marketing:
- Writing and distributing press releases for monthly Openings, calls for submissions and occasional special events.
- Maintaining a file of clippings about Recession Art.
- Keeping the Press section of the website up to date.
- Composing weekly blog posts about upcoming events.
- Regularly updating the Recession Art Facebook page and Twitter feed.
- Researching and proposing alternative marketing opportunities.
- Applicants should expect to commit 15-20 hours per week to the position. This will include two shifts working at the store register, one of which must be a Saturday or Sunday.
- Education or experience in Arts Administration, Curatorial Studies, Art History, Fine Art, or Business is preferred.
-Strong writing skills are a must.
-Social Media skills, experience in writing for blog posts and everyday professional correspondence and some experience in retail and sales is preferred.
- Because the gallery contains a working bar, applicants must be 21+ years old.
- Compensation for this position is based on commission. Interns receive 10% of the pre-tax price of any artwork sold.
- School credit is available.
- Interns may receive use of the gallery to schedule their own events, subject to availability.