Recession Art Seeks Interns for New Art Space
Recession Art is seeking Spring Interns for March-June and Summer Interns for June-September.
Recession Art is a NYC-based arts organization dedicated to connecting emerging artists with aspiring collectors. Since 2009, we have produced two group shows and numerous special events each year. In 2012 Recession Art partnered with CULTUREfix to create RAC, a gallery and book/print shop on the upper level of LES art space. This location is home to our Featured Artist program, a series of solo shows by six of the most promising Recession Artists. RAC functions as a print and book shop and an event space for readings, performance art, workshops, and conversations.
Recession Art Interns will have the unique opportunity to learn about starting up a small business and running an art space from the very beginning. This will be a hands-on internship, with interns becoming an essential part of our team. We are looking for proactive, hard working candidates with a desire to take initiative on assignments and special projects.
Interns will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Participating in curatorial meetings about store inventory and artwork selection.
- Assisting Resident Curators with artist communication.
- Keeping track of store inventory.
- Opportunity to propose and produce intern-curated special events.
- Gallery sitting and staffing the store register.
- Assisting the Programming Director with staffing special events and recruiting volunteers.
- Answering general email inquiries.
- Assisting the Executive Director with bookkeeping and budgeting.
- Researching special projects for the Executive Director.
- Attending monthly staff meetings.
Public Relations / Marketing:
- Writing and distributing press releases for monthly Openings, calls for submissions and occasional special events.
- Maintaining a file of clippings about Recession Art.
- Keeping the Press section of the website up to date.
- Composing weekly blog posts about upcoming events.
- Regularly updating the Recession Art Facebook page and Twitter feed.
- Researching and proposing alternative marketing opportunities.
- Applicants should expect to commit 20 hours per week to the position. This will include two shifts working at the store register, one of which must be a Saturday or Sunday.
- Education or experience in Arts Administration, Curatorial Studies, Art History, Fine Art, or Business is preferred.
-Strong writing skills are a must.
-Social Media skills, experience in writing for blog posts and everyday professional correspondence and some experience in retail and sales is preferred.
- Because the gallery contains a working bar, applicants must be 21+ years old.
- Compensation for this position is based on commission. Interns receive 10% of the pre-tax price of any artwork sold while working the register.
- School credit is available.
- Interns may receive use of the gallery to schedule their own events, subject to availability.
To apply, please send your resume, two references, a brief paragraph about yourself, and a one page writing sample to email@example.com with SPRING/SUMMER INTERN in the subject line.
For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.